[Samba] Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 3 08:48:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 12:15:04 +0530
Ramkumar R via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Team,
> I configured OpenLdap 2.4.28 with samba version 3.6.25 on Ubuntu
> 12.04 LTS
>
> server.

I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an
version of Samba that is also EOL ????

> And now window 7 to Windows 2008 R2 server I could able to join with
> samba domain.
> But,
> When we try to join windows server 2012 R2 server it is not happening
> and error
> which
> I am facing is as follows,
> Error: /// The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the
> service
> location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory
> Domain
>
> Controller (AD DC) for domain "opeldap.sdef.com":
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.opeldap.sdef.com
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
> - The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are
> not
> registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
> automatically
>
> when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at
> set
> intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the
> following IP
> addresses:
> XXX.XX.XX.X
> XXX.XX.XX.XXX
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
> opeldap.sdef.com
> sdef.com
> com
> . (the root zone)
> //
> Request you to inform whether can we join windows 2012 server to samba
> version 3.6.25 as client?

How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or as a
DC ?

If it is as a DC, this is not going to work.

You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

Note: You do this at your own risk.

I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade to AD

Rowland