[Samba] Replication Error Between Differing Samba Versions During Upgrade

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Mon Oct 2 22:32:59 UTC 2017

Spent more time on this today and found the following:
* manually copying over the sam.ldb from a working controller did not fix the
  broken controller (in fact, it completely destroyed the domain)
* upgrading to 4.1.6 shows the same issue as 4.3.11 (dbcheck, drs showrepl,
  dnsupdate all return happily, but ldapcmp shows missing data in the new
  controller)
* this issue does not show up if I add another 4.0.6(*) dc

(*) - this is a bastardize, custom version, not true "4.0.6"

My next step is to try just getting a 4.0.7 controller to work. If that fails,
just a 4.0.6.

My current theory is that at some point the replication code was changed to ask
for data in a way that isn't compatible with the old version, but that if I do
smaller version upgrades, it'll handle it internally. If anyone has any 4.0 to
4.1 upgrade information/links, I would appreciate them.