[Samba] How to migrate local MS Windows users onto samba AD DC ?

LinforPros IT Solutions linforpros at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 01:48:48 UTC 2017

Hi,
I would have to join 7 computers (a mix of win 8, 8.1, 10 WKSs) to
samba 4.7 AD DC. After I will have joined those workstations to samba AD
DC I would like the users to experience a minimal disruption of their
Desktops and profiles. The computers have never been registered to any
domain before.

Can their existing local user names be mirrored on the ADDC (samba)?
Can their user profiles be transported onto samba 4.7 AD DC?

I have read topics like:
User Home Folders
User Profiles : roaming, mandatory, local and temporary
Joining a Windows Client or Server to a Domain
(Interestingly the wiki has no mention of such a scenario)
The closest I got was Folder Redirection via GPO with roaming user
profiles.

I do not see instructions how to start with a non-clean
system where the workstations already have users and their respective
local profiles (Desktop, settings, and local files) have been used for
a while.

Someone wrote on this mailing list a HOWTO and there is a mention of a
"moveuser.exe". Is it still a valid HOWTO?

All hints where to start digging will greatly be appreciated.

Regards
Lin