[Samba] Error copying files with extended attributes to Windows clients

Andrew Berry andrew at furrypaws.ca
Sun Oct 1 14:18:00 UTC 2017

When copying files to a Windows 10 client, an error is thrown if the
file has extended attributes. In this case, the files were all created
by an OS X client with netatalk.

I'm using Samba from the Ubuntu 16.04 repository, which is currently
4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.11.

In my smb.conf:

# Netatalk configuration
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:encoding = native
streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
streams_xattr:prefix = user.

ea support = Yes

Windows Explorer initially copies the file data, but throws "Element not
found" at the end.

On the server:

[2017/10/01 10:10:09.695888,  0] ../source3/smbd/open.c:1202(open_file)
  Error doing fstat on open file Ekahau
  Heatmapper-Setup.exe:com.apple.metadata"kMDItemWhereFroms (No data
  available)

$ getfattr Ekahau\ Heatmapper-Setup.exe
# file: Ekahau Heatmapper-Setup.exe
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
user.com.apple.quarantine
user.org.netatalk.Metadata

If I remove the extended attributes, or turn off 'ea support', I can
copy the file as expected. Is this expected? I assumed that either
extended attributes would be copied to the client, or they would be
removed automatically if they aren't. Or, is this just a Windows 10 bug?

Thanks,

--
  Andrew Berry