[Samba] Samba AD, Bind and DHCP

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 30 10:14:12 UTC 2017

I would suggest that anybody who is using the set up to be found here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

Goes and reads it again, I have updated the page.

Why have I updated the page ?

Because there was a serious bug with the old one.

When I first started using the script, I placed it in /usr/local/bin ,
it was then suggested that it would be better off in /etc/dhcp/bin , so
I moved it. This, it appears was a BAD idea, for if you run 'apt-get
update && apt-get upgrade' and isc-dhcp-server gets upgraded,
the /etc/dhcp/bin directory disappears, yes, you read that right, the
script is removed.

How did I find out about this ?

Fairly obviously, I ran 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' :-(

Go and read the wiki page ASAP and don't upgrade until you have fixed
the problem.

Rowland