[Samba] Debian Buster, bind_dlz, and apparmor

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Nov 28 18:09:59 UTC 2017

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:24:58 -0600
> Dale Schroeder <dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2017 11:11 AM, Robert Wooden wrote:
>>> Dale,
>>>
>>> Been using Ubuntu server for years in my AD. Discovered a long time
>>> ago that apparmor is not needed for a server. (Someone is probably
>>> going to argue the other that is should be but . . .)
>>>
>>> Do not quote me but, I have read that AppArmor is intended more for
>>> a desktop environment. I have always disabled and then removed
>>> AppArmor and have never had any issues. Of course I am behind a
>>> hardware firewall so, hopefully, no exposure to any unwanted
>>> attacks.
>>>
>>> All my servers work fine without AppArmor.
>>>
>>> As an Ubuntu user, my 2 cents . . .
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Dale Schroeder via samba
>>> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      On 11/28/2017 9:02 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>>          On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:37:22 -0600
>>>          Dale Schroeder via samba <samba at lists.samba.org
>>>          <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>>>

>>>              On 11/28/2017 2:38 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>>
>>>                  On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:53:32 -0600
>>>                  Dale Schroeder via samba <samba at lists.samba.org
>>>                  <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>                      Last week, Debian testing (Buster) added
>>> apparmor to the list of
>>>                      dependencies for its latest kernel release,
>>>                      apparently because
>>>                      systemd needs it.  Recently, I noticed my first
>>>                      casualty - bind9 -
>>>                      due to apparmor failures with bind_dlz.
>>>
>>>                      Knowing next to nothing about apparmor, what is
>>>                      needed to fix this,
>>>                      and what further info do you need from me?
>>>
>>>                      Thanks,
>>>                      Dale
>>>
>>>                  I cannot seem to find a debian kernel that has a
>>>                  dependency on
>>>                  apparmor, can you provide a link ?
>>>
>>>                  Even if debian is making the kernel depend on
>>> apparmor (by the way,
>>>                  does Linus know about this  ?), this isn't a Samba
>>>                  problem, it is an
>>>                  apparmor one.
>>>
>>>                  Rowland
>>>
>>>              Rowland,
>>>
>>>              Thanks for responding.
>>>
>>>              From
>>>              http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/l/linux/linux_4.13.13-1_changelog
>>>              <http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/l/linux/linux_4.13.13-1_changelog>
>>>
>>>              [ Ben Hutchings ]
>>>                  * linux-image: Recommend apparmor, as systemd units
>>>              with an
>>>              AppArmor profile will fail without it (Closes: #880441)
>>>
>>>              So, although the word "recommend" implies that one has a
>>>              choice, in
>>>              reality, the kernel upgrade would not proceed without
>>>              installing
>>>              apparmor.
>>>
>>>          Then it is a bug, depend means it will be installed,
>>> recommend means
>>>          what it says, it is recommended to install it, but you do
> [...]
You're a lucky guy, Roland. ;-) I've been burned several different times
with different aspects of systemd, even prior to apparmor.

You are absolutely correct in that the released systemd units should all
work from the beginning.  I hope that it gets more reliable; time will tell.

Dale