[Samba] problems with permissions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 27 22:33:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:05:36 -0800
Jerry Lowry <jlowry at edt.com> wrote:

> Okay, I missed the "ad".  Got that fixed, but how do you reference
> subdirectories with groups when referencing the major shares.  So, to
> explain better hopefully. I would like to shares "acct" and "admin"
> with sub directories that have different group permissions than the
> major share.  The major share should allow read/write to everyone,
> the directories under these shares have finer granularity. Is that
> possible on the major shares?

In a way, you gave feedback on the wiki, so for that, thanks ;-)
I have made the lines on the wikipage bold, hopefully this will help in
future.

I don't think you can do what you are trying to do with POSIX ACLs, but
you may be able to do this with Windows ACLs, read this:

Set the ACLs on the share first, then on the directories beneath them.

Rowland