[Samba] Samba classic domains

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 27 22:13:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:59:30 +1300
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 21:50 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> > I think you understand what I have been saying for some time now,
> > upgrade from an NT4-style to AD before it is too late.
> >
> > However, are you ready yet to admit that Samba should mark NT
> > domains as deprecated ?
>
> I don't see it as admitting or otherwise, the Samba NT4 domain code
> remains a fully supported and functional part of Samba.
>
> We don't however control the clients however, so we give this warning.

I never said the code didn't work any more and I agree we don't control
the clients, this is the problem. There is no point in having the NT
code if the windows clients will not work with it.

> To me, deprecated refers to code we plan to remove from Samba in the
> short or medium term, and that is not the case here.

Then I think it is short sighted of you, some time or other, the
code will become unused, better if Samba controls when this happens.

> I also think using that word will just make it more complex for the
> organisations undertaking the transition to Samba AD.

How can a word make it more complex, in my opinion, it will just make
it clear that users should upgrade.

Rowland