[Samba] Samba max protocol for windows 10

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 27 20:58:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 15:32 +0100, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:

> Am 27.11.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Maxence SARTIAUX via samba:
> > One of our customer has a Samba 3 domain and they have troubles when they try to join a Windows 10 computer, i'm pretty sure it's because we need to set
> > server max protocol = NT1
> > on the domain configuration like the wiki says.
> >
> > But i'm wondering, what about other workstations ? There's no bad behavior limiting the maximum protocol to the current joined workstations (windows xp / 7 / 8 & some linux servers) ?
>
> just performance - NT1 is the lowest common version
>
> i find it really pervert that you need for the newest windows limit your
> config to the oldest protocol

The point is more that the NT4 domain support remains in Windows only
by the thinist of margins.  If you have a Samba 3.x domain or a Samba
4.x install running in the 'classic' or NT4-like mode, upgrade it to AD
with urgency before something forces it broken!

(This could very well include security updates, as noticed with a
password change patch recently!)

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett