[Samba] Trouble during classicupgrade

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Sat Nov 25 15:49:24 UTC 2017

Hello,

I need to do a classic migration on a machine which has until now been
running samba as an old NT4-style PDC. I made a copy of that machine in
a VM to test the process. Until now, things don't work quite right. I
was following the classic upgrade howto from wiki.samba.org. I was using
the method with internal DNS. Classicupgrade itself ran without errors,
I followed the steps after provisioning in the setup guide until the
connection test with smbclient:

smbclient -L localhost -U%
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR

With log level raised to 5, I can find in log.smbd:

[2017/11/25 16:41:48.248479,  1]
../source3/smbd/sesssetup.c:290(reply_sesssetup_and_X_spnego)
  Failed to generate session_info (user and group token) for session
setup: NT_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR

Turning log level to 10 I get an awful lot of info, including several
messages:

Duplicate base-DN matches found for <SID=1-5-11>

These errors also occur during the classicupgrade when run with log
level 10. But I can't find anything useful in all these log messages.

I can post full logs if you want, but I'm not going to attach them here
due to the size.

I am running Debian 9 with samba 4.5.12. Before you ask, no I cannot
upgrade. This is what comes with debian and I will have to stick with it.

Thanks,

Andreas