[Samba] Compiling Samba 4.7 with systemd support on Fedora 26

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Nov 23 22:15:02 UTC 2017

Am 23.11.2017 um 23:08 schrieb Arnab Roy via samba:
> Yes I have /var/run/samba/ , I spotted the error with not having an actual
> filename while I was posting this message. Does the pid file need to be in
> the same path as samba ?

no - PID files thes edays are typically below /run/servicename/ and keep
in mind that /var/run is a symlink to /run as well as /run is *tmpfs* so
you need to make sure it is re-created at boot with the correct permissions

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/tmpfiles.d.html

when Type=notify works there is no need for a pid-file at all, but you
need to make sure the capability is built correctly (see my message before)

i compiled MariaDB 10.2 for F25/F26 with systemd-support and start it
with "/usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf
--pid-file=/dev/null" - dunno if samba allows that or insists in create
a pidfile somewehere, systemd don't need it at all for Type=notify