[Samba] Keeping idmap in sync cross DC

Ian Coetzee samba at iancoetzee.za.net
Wed Nov 22 14:01:17 UTC 2017

Hi Guys,

I have run into a very interesting problem using GPO's on our DC's.

As you may (or may not) know, we have migrated to a pure Samba4 (Git stable
branch checkout) AD network. I can't be happier. *Kudos to the Samba team*

We are running to DC's, DC1 and DC2, both full fledged DC's, both running
CentOS 6.9, fully up to date.

For the sysvol partition I decided to run a glusterfs between the DC's. I
started out with a unison sync, but being the impatient person I am, I
needed more real time.

Now my problem is with the permissions in the sysvol folder structure.

if I run a samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset on the one dc. The idmapping on the
other dc goes all screwie on me.

I copied the idmap.tdb.bak from dc1 to dc2 and restarted samba on dc2, but
a getfacl on the sysvol directory gives me the wrong mappings.

Is there a way to keep the idmappings in sync across the DC's, or maybe I
can move to rid backend (is that even a possibility)?

Sanitized smb.conf's at the following links
DC1 =
https://www.jacklin.co.za/privatebin/?9afbe9b838970d12#qRr64hk3IUZTDF9ENZBgwVheYsygt9GylmYvT25y88Q=

DC2 =
https://www.jacklin.co.za/privatebin/?d584270a3af36cd1#zLXbprO30zR2WkC5NwGCXMANRaAtxoPvwceNNOmd+K0=