[Samba] Samba 4.7.1 - ldap multi process - excessive processes

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Mon Nov 20 09:27:25 UTC 2017

G'day Garming,

> It's a known issue, where the extent of memory accumulation for
> processes wasn't understood (large chunks of memory, which tend to
> fail to be shared) until just after the release froze. There are
> patches upstream to implement a prefork process model (with a fixed
> number of waiting processes) and should be available in 4.8. In
> saying that, some considerations could be made for backporting. One
> alternative is that it might be possible for you to use single
> process mode (-M single) for now.
>
> The prefork process model should apply similarly to the RPC server.

Indeed, we also had issues with rpc_servers eating all the 3GB memory of
a DC for just 150 users... Adding the -M single flag did fix the memory
gobbling issue. Actually we progressively added the -M single to a dozen
of domain we had already upgraded to 4.7.1.

Do you know if there are any drawbacks to using the -M single flag? I
noticed the number of samba processes is lower than with a samba 4.6
with this flag.

If you have a fix, I think it might be a good thing to backport this
one, or at least change the default process model while waiting for the 4.8.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon