[Samba] Samba to Domain Member Server Configs Messed Up, Now getent fails

Sina Owolabi notify.sina at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 09:16:53 UTC 2017

Hi List

Absolute confused newb here. Again.

I noticed that the user gid and uids on my DCs were different from the
uids and gids I would find on the domain member file server. ( I
created users with samba-tool). User UIDs on the DCs would start in
the 30000XX range, while on the file server, the uid would start in
the 1000XX range.
In an attempt to rectify this, I changed the smb.conf from

[global]
    workgroup = SAMDOM
    security = ADS
    realm = SAMDOM.TESTING.COM

    server string = Samba Server Version %v

    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind expand groups = 4
    winbind refresh tickets = Yes

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 3000-9999
    idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid
    idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /share/%U

to (after reading the wiki):

    workgroup = SAMDOM
    security = ADS
    realm = SAMDOM.TESTING.COM

    server string = Samba Server Version %v

    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind expand groups = 4
    winbind refresh tickets = Yes

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 3000-9999
    idmap config SAMDOM : backend = ad
    idmap config SAMDOM : unix_nss_info = yes
    idmap config SAMDOM: schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config SAMDOM : range = 3000000-9999999
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /share/%U

Now getent is no longer retrieving domain users and groups.
I know I have messed up, please how can I fix it?