[Samba] SAMBA failing to start after upgrade

Harsh Kukreja h.kukreja at ium.edu.na
Fri Nov 17 09:38:22 UTC 2017

The upgrade shouldn't have touched the Samba database, just the
binaries etc, so check the smb.conf file and recreate it if you cannot
find it, or if it is incorrect.
The smb.conf still exists
[global]
        workgroup = IUMNET
        realm = IUMNET.EDU.NA
        netbios name = IUMDCDP01
        dns forwarder = 172.16.10.254
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
#       server services = +s3fs,+dnsupdate,+dns,+winbind,+kdc,+ldap
        password server = 172.16.10.5
        allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure
#       lanman auth = Yes
#       client lanman auth = Yes
        ntlm auth = yes
        client use spnego = no
        client ldap sasl wrapping = sign
#       ldap ssl ads = yes
#       ldap ssl = start tls
        ldap server require strong auth = no
#       wins server = iumnet.edu.na
#       wins support = Yes
        time server = Yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%U
#       idmap config * : backend = tdb
#       idmap config *:range = 50000-1000000
        full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m|%S
        full_audit:failure = connect
        full_audit:success = connect disconnect

seize the FSMO roles to another DC, forcibly demote the dead DC
Please help with the commands to seize the FSMO roles to another DC and
forcibly demote the dead DC.

*Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
*International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
@ium.edu.na - Web:
*http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA