[Samba] Join a subdomain DC to a domain DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 16 19:20:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:59:13 -0200
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I'm going to redo my infra using the subdomain.
>
> As I've commented before, the file server is together with the DC. I'm
> going to separate it, because I think it's a good practice.
>
> My question is if I could re-use the old DC that already has an
> integrated file server for this purpose or is it still better to set
> up a new server, re-configure folders and shares, etc?

Whilst you can re-use the old DC as a fileserver, you should be aware
if you provision another DC using a new DNS domain, it will be
precisely that, a new DC. This means that unless you have added
RFC2307 attributes your users and groups in the old domain, they will
not get the same IDs in the new one.
You will have to change the old DNS domain to the new one.
You will also have to remove every trace of the old DC

Rowland