[Samba] Samba AD and NIS integration

Stephen Parry sgparry at mainscreen.com
Thu Nov 16 12:55:52 UTC 2017

>> idmapping does not work for AD Domain Controllers.
>
>It does ;-)

Does that mean that the warning in the docs is out of date? Does it work on the version of Samba in the Stretch repository (Samba 4.5.12), or do I need to find a repo with a more recent build?

>>Other pages
>> suggest many of the winbind parameters are simply ignored and I can
>> confirm this is the case.
>
>This is the main problem with using a Samba AD DC as a fileserver, you
>can only use the uidNumber & gidNumber attributes.

I am already using the uidNumber and gidNumber, as set up using samba-tool user add --uid-number and visible with ldbsearch, both on the DC. I provisioned it with rfc2307 flags.
If I specify --uid-numbers in the range 30,000,000+ they map and work. If I use 3000, which is what I am used to from LDAP, they don't. If I try to set the ranges in the smb.conf they still only work in the 30,000,000+ range.
When I get home later I will post some sample commands and config to clarify.

>If you have given a user a uidNumber attribute this should be used
>instead of the xidNumber.
>
>On a DC:
>getent passwd rowland
>SAMDOM\rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>
>On a Unix domain member:
>
>getent passwd rowland
>rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>

>> > If you mean make the Unix OS know who the AD users and groups are,
>> > then yes.
>> Specifically, what I need is my Linux clients to be able to both log
>> in locally and also connect to NFS shares on the server,
>> authenticating using either LDAP or NIS, but in both cases using the
>> same logins and passwords as the Windows clients who will be
>> connecting to SMB shares using SMB protocols.
>
>Forget ldap, forget nis, use winbind. I am typing this on a Unix domain
>member, so I can assure you that it works.

By unix domain member do you mean Unix member of NIS domain or Unix member of Samba AD domain? I do not want to make my Linux boxes members of the samba domain period. I am trying to use as little Microsoft related tech on the Linux clients as possible; I just want to share credentials with the Microsoft side of the network.
>> So far I have the auth working just locally on the server.
>
>If you have the auth working, but cannot log in, it sounds like you do
>not have libnss_winbind and/or nsswitch set up correctly.

No by auth, I meant including local login, which works.