[Samba] Curious: Schema refresh needed 1 != 2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 16 11:15:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 12:55:06 +0200
Ian Coetzee <samba at iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:

> On 16 November 2017 at 10:29, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:40:01 +0200
> > Ian Coetzee via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rowland,

> >> I upgraded by merging the latest code from the samba git repo,
> >> doing a git clean to remove old local files. Then using a set of
> >> scripts (outside the samba git folder) I compile the code into a
> >> rpm which then gets redistributed internally to our DC's, running
> >> CentOS 6.9 (All packages up to date)

> >> I am not quite sure what you mean by this. I assume:
> >>
> >> $ wbinfo -V
> >> Version 4.7.2
> >>
> >> $ smbclient -V
> >> Version 4.7.2
> >>
> >> $ samba-tool -V
> >> 4.7.2
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >>

> > ldbsearch -V
>
> Hi Rowland
>
> $ ldbsearch -V
> Version 4.7.2
>
> Kind regards
> >
> > Rowland

The message seems to be coming from here:

source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/schema_load.c [line 218]

	if (schema != NULL) {
		if (ret == LDB_SUCCESS) {
			if (schema->metadata_usn == schema_seq_num) {
				TALLOC_FREE(mem_ctx);
				return schema;
			} else {
				DEBUG(3, ("Schema refresh needed %lld != %lld\n",
					  (unsigned long long)schema->metadata_usn,
					  (unsigned long long)schema_seq_num));
			}
		} else {

I wouldn't use Samba from git in production, I would use the latest
available tarball.
If everything is working okay, you could use 'log level = 2' in
smb.conf, this should turn off the messages. It wont fix the problem
though, which seems to be a problem with the schema.

Rowland