[Samba] add machine script not running

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 15 18:23:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 17:58 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 18:01:51 +0100
> "Daniel Berteaud" <daniel at firewall-services.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your response
> >
> > Le Mercredi, Novembre 15, 2017 17:38 CET, Rowland Penny via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> a écrit:
> >
> > > I suppose the obvious question is, is the script executable ?
> >
> > It is. It's a simple perl script with +x. I can exec it from the
> > comande line like
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/addworkstation.pl foo$
> >
> > which creates the machin account like it should. I've also tested
> > caling it with the interpreter
> >
> > add machine script = /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/addworkstation.pl %u
> >
> > with no difference
> >
> > > Can you post your smb.conf,
> >
> > See the file attached
> >
> > > there have been some changes between 3.6.3
> > > and 4.3.11. Talking of which, is there any way that you can upgrade
> > > Samba ? 4.3.11 is EOL as far as Samba is concerned.
> >
> > I'd prefer keeping the version provided with the distro, but I'll
> > check if there's some trustworthy PPA to get something a bit newer.
> >
> > The strange thing, is that the script is not even called at all.
> >

> You have 'add machine script = /usr/local/bin/addworkstation.pl "%u"'
> Try removing the double quotes.
>
> There isn't doesn't see to be anything else really wrong with your
> smb.conf.

G'Day Rowland,

While it is possible our parsing of the smb.conf has changed, I think
this is a red herring.

This is an upgrade issue, so we should be holding as many things
constant as possible, once we confirm things like the script has been
copied over correctly and is executing manually on the new host.

Assuming it is confirmed that the script does not execute at all, i
would just say this:

Sadly the LDAP backend of the NT4/classic DC is not automatically
tested in our make test.  However I can't see any specific change in
our control flow here, we should still execute that script if the new
account is created over SAMR CreateUser2 with ACB_WSTRUST.

The account will still be created in LDAP even if ldapsam:editposix =
yes is not set, it will just not be created with posix attributes.  If
that were set, we wouldn't run the script however.

As a point of debugging, is the 'add user script' script run instead?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett