[Samba] Sharing passdb.tdb between two or more Samba servers?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 14 10:35:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-06 at 13:26 -0500, Bernard Fay via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using Samba only for file sharing.  Because we are missing space in
> the first Samba server, we need to add a second Samba server.
>
> While building this new server i came up with the questioning about sharing
> the passdb.tdb file among different Samba servers? Would this be feasible?
> The idea is that all users should be able to access any file servers
> according with theirs needs.  Or is there a better way to do it?

The better way is to make the first server into a DC for a classic NT4-
style domain and use the OpenLDAP backend.  There are guides on how to
convert into LDAP.  Both DCs can reference the same LDAP server or
replicas.  This is the smallest-change approach.

Or, set up a full Samba AD domain and get the advantages of a full AD
DC.

Andrew Bartlett