[Samba] Winbind error "Could not fetch our SID - did we join?"

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 13 15:00:50 UTC 2017

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:20:05 +0100
Sven Schwedas <sven.schwedas at tao.at> wrote:

> > PS, your configs are still wrong.
>
> It would be *really* helpful if you explained *why*. Sprinkling magic
> pixie dust over random config files isn't exactly purposeful
> debugging.

Lets start with /etc/krb5.conf

Samba doesn't need most of what you will find in it, this is mostly
because most of what you will find there, is a default setting.
Believe it, or believe it not, you only really need:

[libdefaults]
    default_realm = AD.TAO.AT

using 'search' in /etc/resolv.conf means you use host-name lookups

/etc/hosts should contain information in the following format:

ipaddress 'canonical-name' 'alias'

'canonical-name' is anotherway of saying FQDN
'alias' is another way of saying short hostname

When trying to identify a problem, you start with the obvious from the
info supplied and fix anything that might be causing the problem.
If this doesn't work, then look further, ask other questions etc

Rowland