[Samba] Winbind error "Could not fetch our SID - did we join?"

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Mon Nov 13 13:32:11 UTC 2017

Making no additional changes to the configuration, using "net ads join"
instead of "samba-tool domain join" immediately worked. I'd be really
curious where's the difference between the two and why samba-tool
pretends to not have run into any errors…

On 2017-11-13 13:40, Sven Schwedas via samba wrote:
> On 2017-11-13 13:31, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:18:20 +0100
>> Sven Schwedas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Could we please not waste a week poking at random unrelated stuff this
>>> time? These "I try the same stuff no matter what the problem is"
>>> boilerplate emails become really grating after the first few times. :/
>>
>> No problem Sven, I will not waste one more moment on your problem.
>> I was just trying to give you advice based on what I know works and
>> from what you posted.
>
> It's hard to convey tone on the internet, I know. But blindly fiddling
> with config settings that don't seem to be related to the problem at all
> – after all, both kerberos and DNS worked fine during the join, as the
> debug info clearly states –, and don't seem to make problems on other
> servers, just looks pointless. *Why* would these configuration changes
> help here?
>

> Looking at the winbindd log at maximum debug level, there doesn't seem
> to be even an *attempt* to find the domain, much less errors from
> failing to do so.

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
Mail/XMPP sven.schwedas at tao.at | Skype sven.schwedas
TAO Digital | Lendplatz 45 | A8020 Graz