[Samba] Member Server Configuration

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 20:39:54 UTC 2017

[snip]
 > > OK, fine, but I couldn't get auto-creation of home folders to work
> > with just the settings in the WiKi.
>
> If you are talking about creating auto-creating users home folders on
> Unix machines, this is quite easy, when you know how ;-)
>
> Add this line to /etc/pam.d/common-session
>
> session    required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
>
> Then when a user logs in, if the users homedir doesn't exist, it will
> be created.

Yes, that's fine for unix users.  No, what I was wanting was the users home folders to be auto-created when a user logs in from a windows machine for the first time.   This is normally how it works on Windows DCs.  In addition if a GPO is set to redirect the users folders , eg Documents, Music, Pictures etc, to the home folder (instead of the user's profile folder on the local machine) these should also be auto-created.   I wasn't getting this behaviour with the WiKi's recommended permissions for the home folders on the member server.   Once I set permissions as follows:

Share Permissions:
Authenticated Users: Full Control (WiKi says Read & Execute)
Domain Admins: Full Control

NTFS Permissions:
Domain Admins: Full Control (This folder, subfolder & files)
Domain Users: Modify (This folder, subfolder & files)
CREATOR OWNER: Full Control (Subfolders and files only)
Authenticated Users: Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read (This folder only)

Things started working as they would on a Windows DC.

Thanks for your help.

Roy