[Samba] Not able to list domain in new samba DC

Sina Owolabi notify.sina at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 10:19:02 UTC 2017

Hello list

Samba newbie here, loolking for help.
I am trying to follow the samba wiki to setup a domain controller and
an attendant file server.  I built samba from 4.7.1 source and I am
installing on a set  of Centos 7 VMs.

So far everything looks ok, but when I run smbclient on the DC I get
the following, and cant see the domain presented:

[root at testbox ~]# smbclient -L localhost -U%

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk
        sysvol          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.7.1)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
On the file server joined to the domain:

[root at testfsrv ~]# smbclient -L testbox -U%

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk
        sysvol          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.7.1)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        Anonymous       Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.7.1)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SAMDOM               TESTFSRV

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
My smb.confs are:

DC:

# Global parameters
[global]
        dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
        netbios name = TESTBOX
        realm = SAMDOM.TESTING.COM
        workgroup = SAMDOM
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 3
        tls enabled = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/samdom.testing.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

File server:
[global]
        security = ADS
        workgroup = SAMDOM
        realm = SAMDOM.TESTING.COM

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 1
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
        idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
        idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config  SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999
        idmap config  SAMDOM : unix_nss_info = yes
        idmap config SAMDOM:unix_primary_group = yes

        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /share/%U

        username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/user.map
        map to guest = Bad User

[Anonymous]
        path = /anonymous
        writable = yes