[Samba] DC's are unavailable when PDC halted

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 8 14:03:41 UTC 2017

Hai Stefan,

What happens on the DC itself.
The dns `CLIENT queries` (resolving) goes through /etc/resolv.conf
And uses these settings.
for example, ping www.google.nl from the DC commandline.

The PC in the lan use the DC DNS but NOT  /etc/resolv.conf of the DC.
That uses the DNS Server settings, internal samba, used the forward setting in smb.conf
Or bind9_dlz + samba, used the forward setting in bind.

Now you know this. (DC1)
/etc/resolv.conf
search ADDC.domain.TLD externaldomain.tld
nameserver IP_OF_DC1 and not localhost/127.0.0.1
Nameserver IP_of_your_gateway
Nameserver IP_of_anyother_dns.

Now adding a second DC.

DC1 changes a bit.
/etc/resolv.conf
search ADDC.domain.TLD externaldomain.tld
nameserver IP_OF_DC1
nameserver IP_OF_DC2
Nameserver IP_of_anyother_dns.

DC2.
/etc/resolv.conf
search ADDC.domain.TLD externaldomain.tld
nameserver IP_OF_DC2
nameserver IP_OF_DC1
Nameserver IP_of_anyother_dns.

And set you client PC's DNS to the DC.s

Results in.
1) if DC1 is down, DC2 is used.
2) if DC2 is down, DC1 is used.
3) If both DC's are down, the DC still has internet, clients not.
But without any DC, your network is in serious problem..

The DC still has internet due to Nameserver IP_of_anyother_dns.
And you need that when your in trouble.

Greetz,

Louis