[Samba] 445 port number of samba 4

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 31 13:44:14 UTC 2017

Am 31.05.2017 um 15:18 schrieb finfer Ren via samba:
> Could we use the samba service with the port 445 closed.
> Now we upgrade samba from version 3 to 4.6.4 for the CVE-2017-7494. We
> found out that samba-3 can provide service with only 139 open. But it
> doesn't work with samba-4

no, you can't, but you can without 139 with any modern client

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

SMB was originally designed to run on top of the NetBIOS/NetBEUI API
(typically implemented with NBF, NetBIOS over IPX/SPX, or NBT). Since
Windows 2000, SMB runs, by default, with a thin layer, similar to the
Session Message packet of NBT's Session Service, on top of TCP, using
TCP port 445 rather than TCP port 139?a feature known as "direct host
SMB".[5]