[Samba] Cannot use Print Server functions in NT4 style domain

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Tue May 30 22:09:56 UTC 2017

Yes, down to a T:

# smbd -b | grep "HAVE_CUPS"
   HAVE_CUPS_CUPS_H
   HAVE_CUPS_LANGUAGE_H
   HAVE_CUPS

CUPS is setup, and I can print test pages from the web portal.

Created the spool directory, and applied permissions:
/var/spool# ls -lah
total 48K
drwxr-xr-x 10 root        root        4.0K Mar 17  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root        root        4.0K Jan 11  2016 ..
<CLIPPED>
drwxrwxrwt  2 root        root         12K May 30 14:48 samba

Turned off "load printers"

Created the share definition for the shared printer (same name as in CUPS).
Verified the permissions for managing the printers:
# net rpc rights list privileges SePrintOperatorPrivilege -U "JMC\lbarone"
-S 192.168.0.3
Enter JMC\lbarone's password:
SePrintOperatorPrivilege:
  JMC\lbarone
  BUILTIN\Administrators
  JMC\Domain Admins

I setup the [printers], and [print$] shares, as per the Wiki @
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients,
and even set up one printer share - [KM-400]. I can see the printer when I
browse with Windows Explorer to \\Samba, but I cannot connect to it
(Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error
0x0000001f). Trying to manage anything through the Print Management utility
yields the original error in the first message.