[Samba] [SSSD-users] Samba 4.4, sssd, adcli; windows hosts cannot authenticate

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Mon May 29 08:07:37 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 09:45:29PM -0700, Steve Dainard wrote:
> I'm running samba 4.4.4 on el7. I'm attempting to provide a share
> auth by Kerberos or for non-kerberos hosts auth by password on Linux
> or Windows (7)
> clients.

SSSD cannot handle NTLM ('auth by password') so you have to run winbind
to make this possible. Adding the needed configuration manually is not
that easy so I would recommend re-considering Samba's net utility to
join.

What is the specific feature you need from adcli? If it is
'preset-computer' I think you can just use the one-time password with
net as well.

If you want to SSSD running to lookup users and groups you can use
SSSD's idmap plugin to make sure winbind uses the same UIDs and GIDs,
see man idmap_sss for details.

HTH

bye,
Sumit