[Samba] Not possible to chown as guest?

john smith wempwer at gmail.com
Sat May 27 17:15:20 UTC 2017

On 5/28/17, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 01:21:12 +0900
> john smith via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> But it seems that it took more work to prevent guest from performing
>> chown than to allow it. As a Samba pseudo user guest is directly
>> mapped to nobody on the server and as nobody is able to chown directly
>> on the server there must be an additional code somewhere that
>> intentionally forbid guest to chown.
>
> You are totally missing the point, you can only chown as 'nobody'
> because you changed the 'nobody' user, no one else can , because they
> haven't changed the user 'nobody'.

You're unhelpful. I know that I can chown as nobody because I changed
it because I changed it on my own as I already said multiple
times. Now I want to know why I cannot chown a file in a mounted
directory but can do that on the server as *the same* user.

I had the second thought that it may not be related to Samba but to
how cifs module works on Linux general because as strace shows
lchown() is finally done but it fails.

I'm just looking for hints.
--
<wempwer at gmail.com>