[Samba] Not possible to chown as guest?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 26 19:52:19 UTC 2017

On Sat, 27 May 2017 04:31:07 +0900
john smith via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > getent passwd nobody
> > nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
>
> Ok, I know that. Please read my 1st post more carefully. I added my
> nobody user to users group. I can log in as nobody on the server and
> do `chown nobody:users <FILE>.

To login, you must have given 'nobody' a password, given it a home
directory and a shell that lets it login. Or do you mean that you can
connect to a share as the user 'nobody' although this would still
mean that 'nobody' has a password.

Let me run this scenario past you. You set up a standalone server
with guest access. You allow user 'nobody' to login. Somebody puts a
script on the share, then as user 'nobody' runs 'chmod +x script' (if
your user runs chown, it can run chmod), then the unknown user runs the
script and anything can happen, it could make your unknown user
'root', still think this is a good idea ???

Rowland