[Samba] Different primary group between 4.5.x and 4.6.x

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 26 13:31:35 UTC 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 14:36:45 +0200
aluno3--- via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have upgraded Samba in my environment from 4.5.10 to 4.6.3 and
> experienced issue with primary group for domain guest user:
>
> With Samba 4.5.10 primary group for DEV2+guest was "DEV2+domain
> guests":
>
> root at root:~# id DEV2+guest
> uid=66037(DEV2+guest) gid=66050(DEV2+domain guests)
> groups=66050(DEV2+domain guests)
>

> With Samba 4.6.3 primary group for DEV2+guest is "DEV2+domain users":

If you check the release notes for 4.6.0, you will find this:

winbind primary group and nss info

With 4.6, it will be possible to optionally use the primary group as
set in the "Unix Attributes" tab for the local unix token of a domain
user.  Before 4.6, the Windows primary group was always chosen as
primary group for the local unix token.

To activate the unix primary group, set

idmap config <DOMAIN> : unix_primary_group = yes

I wonder if is possibly an artefact of the above change, because you
seem to have possibly given 'Guest' a uidNumber.

Rowland