[Samba] Not possible to chown as guest?

john smith wempwer at gmail.com
Fri May 26 13:19:17 UTC 2017

On 5/26/17, Reindl Harald via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 25.05.2017 um 12:16 schrieb john smith via samba:
>> Is my thinking correct that it's not possible for guest to chown a
>> file? I read the documentation but I have not found any mention of
>> that limitation.
>
> only root and owner can change permissions of files, only root can chown
> files - if a *guest* user could do root-privileged tasks io would write
> a bugreport

But I just want to change group ownership.  In order to change
ownership to a given group a user has to be a member of that
group. And in my case user nobody is a member of users group and can
change file ownership to users group if it's done directly on the
server but cannot do that when done on the different system in a
directory when the share is mounted.
--
<wempwer at gmail.com>