[Samba] Migrate from sernet-samba to samba4

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at gmx.de
Thu May 25 09:11:10 UTC 2017

Am 25.05.2017 um 10:53 schrieb Tim ODriscoll via samba:
> Is it possible to migrate from 4.2.14-SerNet-RedHat-23.el7 to samba-4.4.4-13.el7_3.x86_64 on centOS7?
>
> I've got two centos7 servers running sernet versions of samba. Both are AD DC's, with 600 users.
>
> If I run yum install samba4, I get a promising error back:
> Package samba-4.4.4-13.el7_3.x86_64 is obsoleted by 99:sernet-samba-4.2.14-23.el7.x86_64 which is already installed
>
> So, if I can get yum to install samba4 over sernet-samba, will I break anything?

Yes, you will especially lose the Active Directory support. The packages
from centOS are built without that, because Samba and CentOS favour
different flavours of Kerberos.

You can however easily get the source and compile Samba yourself. Just
look in the wiki for the prerequisites for centOS7. It is one huge "yum
install" command, mostly for some libraries. I just compiled it on
Scientific Linux 6 after the exact same command.