[Samba] SAMBA v3.6.8 on Solaris 10 NOT working after Windows Server 2008 AD updated

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 24 21:06:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, 24 May 2017 16:34:23 -0400
albert samba <albertzhou.samba at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, my samba unix box joined to NT4-style domain.  I run 'net rpc
> join' to join the domain as a member server.  I wanted all clients to
> contact Windows DC for authentication, so 'security = domain' instead
> of ADS.

You may be able to get Samba 3.6 on Solaris to connect to an NT4-style
domain, but windows 8.1 is probably going to be harder, especially as
Microsoft seems to have disabled smb v1 now.

I think you really need to update to AD if you want to use windows 8.1
and you will probably need to to upgrade to a version of Samba on the
Solaris machines that isn't EOL (if you can).

I really think that the days of the NT4-style are over, Microsoft is
making it harder and harder to connect Windows to an NT4-style
domain, hardly surprising really, they abandoned them years ago.

Rowland