[Samba] Windows 10 spawning thousands of child processes on Samba 4.3.11 server

Asbjorn Taugbol asbjornt at gmail.com
Tue May 23 12:53:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2017 14:13:33 +0200
> Asbjorn Taugbol via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > I wonder why this guest unmapped user appears?
> >

> Probably because you have 'map to guest = bad user', this is from 'man
> smb.conf':
>
> Bad User - Means user logins with an invalid password are
> rejected, unless the username does not exist, in which case it
> is treated as a guest login and mapped into the guest
> account.
>
> Or to put it another way, ANYBODY can connect!
>
> Rowland
>

> 1. The Windows client user "Admin" has mounted samba share with username
"production" and can access any files on that share. Why does Samba start
messing with other/unknown usernames? Should I create a Linux/Samba "Admin"
user? I admit having a somewhat limited knowledge of Windows/samba
authentication.

2. Why are the nobody/nogroup processes not dropped when the corresponding
locked files are no longer used?  The average ratio of processes/locked
files is 25.000/2.000.

Thanks!