[Samba] Samba 4.5.8-Debian User Profiles on NFS-Share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 23 10:39:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, 23 May 2017 12:08:59 +0200
Franz Gansberger via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the reply.
>
> > Why ? profiles is a windows thing and NFS isn't
>
> The Samba-AD is virtualized, therefore the storage is an a different
> machine.

Allow me to introduce you to the 'profilePath' attribute, you can set
this to where ever you want the profiles to be stored, no need of NFS.

> > I take you haven't read this:
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server
> > Specifically this: the auto-enabled acl_xattr virtual file system
> > (VFS) object enables you to only configure shares with Windows
> > access control lists (ACL). Running shares with POSIX ACLs on a
> > Samba DC is not supported. i.e. you cannot use the 'force' lines in
> > [profiles]
>
> I read this, but I have already an information overflow.
> Unfortunately, most of the information found by google is outdated or
> regarding a differten version of OS/Samba

You are quite correct, a lot of the stuff found by google is old and
out of date, this is why we have the Samba wiki, why most people ignore
it, I have no idea. They seem to ask questions that refer to Samba
on the strangest of forums and mailing lists ;-)

> > [profiles]
> >    browseable = yes
> > path = /data/data/profiles-nfs
> >    read only = no acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
>
> >Configure the profiles share from withing windows. That could work
> >imo.
>
> unfortunately, not working...
>
> On the same share (profiles), with the same setting I can copy, open,
> execute, rewrite and overwrite files without any problem. permissions
> are correct. Only the demo1.V4 directory which should hold the
> roaming profile is  still showing empty directorys, and no files.

If only one profile isn't working then probably there is a problem with
that profile.

Rowland