[Samba] DNS (bind_dlz) forwarding not working

Elias Pereira empbilly at gmail.com
Tue May 16 21:28:01 UTC 2017

Rowland,

Seeing as BIND_DLZ uses the same info in AD as SAMBA_INTERNAL does,
> then no, using the internal dns server will not make any difference.

Ok.

Which ever dns server you use, it must be authoritative for the AD
> domain and if required it should be a subdomain of your registered
> domain, see here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ
> #Subdomain_of_a_Domain_You_Own
>
> From the sound of it, you are trying to do it incorrectly, it
> sounds like you are using the same dns domain name for your AD
> domain as your existing dns domain, this is not likely to work.

I am using subdomains for this, so much that I posted in the other message.

*Domain*: mydomain.edu
*DNS Server*: ns.mydomain.edu
*AD Server*: addc.mydomain.edu

Is it mandatory to put the AD IP as primary dns in pcs? If not, can I
configure the IP of the DNS server and create a zone like this below to be
forwarded the requests?

*named.conf.local*
zone "addc.mydomain.edu" IN {
                type forward;
                forward only;
                forwarders { xxx.xxx.xxx.6; }; # IP of AD
        };

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017 17:04:26 -0300
> Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > > Not so much forgetting but not understanding ;-)
> >

> > - Internal DNS that responds to our services (site, moodle, etc) -
> > ns.myinstitution.edu (registered in registro.br)
> > - Samba DNS answering for samba stuff - addc.myinstitution.edu
> >
> > Maybe it's better to use SAMBA_INTERNAL instead of BIND_DLZ?
> >

> Seeing as BIND_DLZ uses the same info in AD as SAMBA_INTERNAL does,
> then no, using the internal dns server will not make any difference.
>
> Which ever dns server you use, it must be authoritative for the AD
> domain and if required it should be a subdomain of your registered
> domain, see here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ
> #Subdomain_of_a_Domain_You_Own
>
> From the sound of it, you are trying to do it incorrectly, it
> sounds like you are using the same dns domain name for your AD
> domain as your existing dns domain, this is not likely to work.
>
> Rowland
>
> --

Elias Pereira