[Samba] Samba 4.6.3 DNS replication with Windows 2008 R2 DC

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Thu May 11 11:22:05 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I currently have 9 x Samba 4.6.3 Domain Controllers happily replicating and
working nicely. We use BIND_DLZ DNS.

I have been tasked with adding a Windows 2008 R2 DC to this group which I
have done following this guide:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

All appears to have gone well and replication is working according to
"samba-tool drs showrepl", however my zones are not appearing in the DNS
Manager on the new Windows DC, although the Windows DC appears to be acting
as a DNS server ok as it can resolve all addresses that exist on the other
Samba4 DC's.

The only Forward lookup zone that is appearing on the Windows DC is _
msdcs.domain.com, all others are not visible however they are resolving.
Obviously, this means I can't create/delete entries on the Windows DC.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.

--
ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)