[Samba] Samba4 and "inherit permissions ="

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Fri May 5 11:26:23 UTC 2017

> On Fri, 5 May 2017 11:21:14 +0100
> Sebastian Arcus via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> After a decent amount of online searches, I am a little bit lost on
>> the subject of Samba4 in AD mode and ACL's. Could anybody help with
>> the following please:
>>
>> 1. Is it correct that my default ACL's are being ignored (new files
>> created don't follow the default ACL's permissions of the parent
>> folder) because "inherit permissions = " is set to No by default in
>> smb.conf?
>>
>> 2. Is "inherit permissions = " still a valid option in smb.conf for
>> Samba4 in AD mode, or has it been deprecated?
>>
>> 3. Does "inherit permissions = " have the same effect as clicking
>> "Enable inheritance" button on the Windows side in the share settings?
>>

> If you are using an AD DC as a fileserver, you do not add anything to
> the share other than the path and read only mode, you need to set the
> ACLs from windows, see here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs

Thank you for that. Where I got confused is that many howtos seem to
suggest that ACL's can be managed either from the Windows side, or with
setfacl on the Linux side.

I noticed that if I have the following ACL's

# file: VAT
# owner: root
# group: MYDOM\134domain\040users
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

The inheritance doesn't work correctly, in spite of the default ACL's.
It seems that it only works correctly if there is an explicit default
ACL for "Domain Users" - in spite of the fact that the "Domain Users" is
the owning group, and there is a default ACL for the owning group. Is
this by design?