[Samba] timeout after inactivity on mount.cifs

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Wed May 3 17:37:57 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 10:50 AM, Gaelan Lloyd via samba wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Not sure if you have found a solution or not since your post was back in
> February, but I thought I'd reply as this is the only thread I could
> find anywhere that mentions a problem that I was having on a recent
> installation of Arch Linux.
>
> A few minutes after boot all of my CIFS/Samba mounts would go offline
> and I'd get an error "The host is down." But I could unmount and remount
> them just fine. They'd stay online as long as I was using them, then go
> offline again after a few minutes of idle.
>
> Turns out I wasn't specifying a version in my CIFS fstab mount, and the
> system was defaulting to a version 1.0 protocol.  That protocol is super
> old and apparently doesn't talk well to my FreeNAS Samba 3 share, so the
> connection was dying after a few minutes of idle. Changing the fstab to
> version 3.0 fixed the problem immediately:
>
> //server/share  /mount/point   cifs
> defaults,uid=username,credentials=/etc/smbpaswd,vers=3.0   0   0
>
> It would be nice if CIFS tried to mount starting with the newest
> protocol (3), and if that failed it downgraded to 2, then to 1 if
> necessary, rather than defaulting to version 1.
>
> I hope that if you're still having this issue this is helpful info!
>
> Gaelan Lloyd
> http://www.gaelanlloyd.com

Gaelan,

I don't know about Ivan, but you certainly solved my problem.  I haven't
been able to do a CIFS mount since an upgrade many months ago.  It works
perfectly now.

Thanks a lot.

Dale