[Samba] Samba-wiki info about profiles and SYSTEM account.

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed May 3 13:43:48 UTC 2017

Hi Louis,

it seems we are both right:

I talked with Volker about the necessity of SYSTEM in ACLs on a Samba
server: From Samba side, SYSTEM is not required in ACLs. It's important
that the domain user or machine account, that is used to authenticate to
the share, is able to access the content.

SYSTEM is a local security principal on the client and not sent over the
network to authenticate. When a local service on a domain member uses
SYSTEM to access a domain network share, it authenticates as
computername$. To access the content, it is necessary that this machine
account is allowed to access the content. For example, because it is
listed explicitely, as member of a group, or allowed by a general
principal, such as "Authenticated Users". If the local SYSTEM account
accesses the server using the computername$ account, the SYSTEM account
in the ACLs is not used on the server to validate if computername$ is
allowed to access the content - computername$ must somehow have access.

On the other side, there are be some Windows services that may require
that some ACLs are present on the remote server. For example, a service
might not work if the ACLs on the remote server do not contain the
SYSTEM account - even if it is not used on the server to access the
content itself. This is what you discovered.

I will update the docs accordingly.

Regards,
Marc