[Samba] Problems with samba and profile syncing from various windows versions

Jakub Kulesza jakkul+samba at gmail.com
Wed May 3 07:15:30 UTC 2017

Hi!

I've got an old samba installation, now thanks to you all - successfully
upgraded to ubuntu 16.04. Samba is the packaged version
4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.6.

The problem I have is that for some users their profiles do not sync
properly. They seem to upload onto the server, and then at the next logon
some files that were deleted by the user come back. It is more per user
basis or per workstation basis - this is hard to diagnose right now. For
most of the users everything works very fine. The problem can pop up on a
windows 10 workstation, 7 or even an XP (yes, we have some crap like this
still running).

I cannot seem to find anything relevant in the logs. My smb.conf goes
below. The profiles go into [profiles].

Question: How can I analyse and diagnose such issue? What should I look at?
Are windows workstations to blame or some setting on the server?

smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = CUT
realm = CUT
netbios name = CUT
dns forwarder = 192.168.0.252
max open files = 57000

full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m|%S
full_audit:success = mkdir rename unlink rmdir pwrite
full_audit:failure = none
full_audit:facility = local7
full_audit:priority = NOTICE

log level = 1
tls enabled  = yes
tls keyfile  = /var/lib/samba/private/tls/key.pem
tls certfile = /var/lib/samba/private/tls/cert.pem
tls cafile   = /var/lib/samba/private/tls/ca.pem
tls verify peer = no_check
ldap server require strong auth = no

winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes

[netlogon]
  path = /var/local/samba/var/lib/samba/netlogon
read only = No
guest ok = yes

[sysvol]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
read only = No

[profiles]
 path = /var/local/samba/var/lib/samba/profiles
 read only = no
 browseable = no
 create mask = 0600
 directory mask = 0700
 profile acls = yes
        vfs objects = full_audit

[and then come lot's of different shares]