[Samba] Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

osdc at mailbox.org osdc at mailbox.org
Thu Mar 30 14:25:46 UTC 2017

> Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> hat am 30. März 2017 um 16:15 geschrieben:

> > May it be possible, that the getent-problem has something to do with
> > pam-auth-update? I never did that before.
>
> Possibly

If so a hint in the Samba-Setup manual would be of help.

> > there are still two issues:
> >
> > 1. The path /home/samba does not yet exist, so all the login-paths
> > lead to nowhere. Is it a problem to put the samba shares, except
> > profiles and users, to another path? I like to use /fs for shortness.
>
> Where ever you put the share must exist, it will not be created for
> you.
> You could use '/fs', you will just need to change the 'path =' in the
> share.

Yes, I only asked if there is something special about the paths proposed by the setting in smb.conf. Some relation to security.

> > 2. The first share I have setup with RSAT as Domain Administrator
> > worked like expected. I could see the Users in the security tab and
> > change them. I could also change ownership succesfully. But after
> > saving it all the others did not work, i see "Failed to enumerate
> > objects in the container. Access is denied." again. When changing
> > settings for the first share, it was the same. So something happened
> > there and it is still not usable.
>
> This sounds like a permissions problem, compare the permissions on the
> one that works with the others that don't.

I would have, but it works only once. After the first time changing the settings it did not work a second time. Just once.
There are differences, though:

drwxrwx---+  2 RUBENS\gf root 4096 Mär 30 14:09 gf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root      root 4096 Mär 30 14:56 mrtx

The first share could be changed once, the second share could not. The changing of the owner for /fs/gf worked well, but when I wanted to change it back I was not allowed. Additionally I could not ever change /fs/mrtx. In the beginning they have all been identical in smb.conf:

[gf]
    browseable = yes
    path = /fs/gf
    read only = no

[mrtx]
    browseable = yes
    path = /fs/mrtx
    read only = no

And I created the folders as root with
mkdir /fs/gf
mkdir /fs/mrtx

So there is no difference. I rebooted the server and windows 10, still failing to enumerate objects in the container.