[Samba] "a misconfigured DNS zone" (was: Re: Provision new domain keeping users and passwords)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 29 18:42:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 13:48 -0500, Santiago Londoño Mejía via samba
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to add a new dc to my domain, but the sysadmin installed the
> main dc left misconfigured dns zones that I can not remove.

Can you give some more details on this?  It would still seem less
disruptive to sort out whatever is wrong with DNS.

> ¿Is it possible to provision the domain again using new samba as main
> dc Keeping users and passwords Of the previous dc?
> The current main dc runs samba 4.4.

The closest we have is the 'upgradeprovision' tool, which tried to do
that:  create a new domain with most of the changed objects of an old
domain.  However it never made it to production quality, and isn't
something we emphsize.

The challenge is that you really want to keep much more than the users
and passwords, you really also want to keep SIDs and preferably also
GUIDs.

Andrew Bartlett