[Samba] DC Upgrade Compiled to Package

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 18:23:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 12:57:10 -0500 (CDT)
Mike Ray via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Marc-
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> In regards to the FSMO roles, when we were originally testing, we
> found that in our version, FSMO roles could not be transferred (or
> even seized).

You should have been able to transfer the roles and seizing definitely
should have worked, can you remember why it didn't work?

> Would you recommend adding the new versioned DC to the existing
> domain and attempting a seize on the new version once the old FSMO
> owner is offline?

This should work, whether the old FSMO is on line or not.

> What about stopping samba on the old FSMO owner and
> copying the TDB files from the old host to the new one?

Please don't try this (note the FSMO roles are stored in AD and AD is
in .ldb files), you will just break your AD.

> If the TDB
> files are copied from one host to another, can a domain controller
> effectively be replaced by that method or will that cause issues?

It will cause major issues.

Rowland