[Samba] [Samba 4.5] Very slow LDAP Queries (almost unusable), performance tunning ?

Gaetan SLONGO gslongo at it-optics.com
Mon Mar 27 08:43:58 UTC 2017

Zarafa is not on the same server as Samba

We only have 2 AD/DC Samba 4.5 (CentOS 7) and we put required indexes on LDAP .

Arround 1000 mailboxes but not all are simultaneously in use (approx 1/3 in use).
MTA is postfix (and is still connected to Samba AD, this one is not causing the issue).
As a workarround, we currently deployed a synchronization connector from AD to OpenLDAP. It solves the performance issue during the investigation because Zarafa was totally unusable at all when connected to Samba... But We plan to move to Zimbra by the end of the year so I think the work arround can stay in place until the migration. However this performance issue could be a bottleneck in other applications, in the future...

I did not found any config setting allowing tu enable multi-threading on Samba LDAP backend (maybe an hidden one ?).. I think it could help a lot