[Samba] DC Upgrade Compiled to Package

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Mar 24 19:07:00 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

Am 24.03.2017 um 17:19 schrieb Mike Ray via samba:
> I've seen this page: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba and
> intend on reading the release notes as instructed, but was
 > wondering if anyone had any additional things to look out
 > for, especially related to going from a source installed version
 > to a package installed version.

The major important things are listed ono the "Updating Samba" page.
However, it's always good to read the release notes of the x.y.0
releases you will skip.

When you switch from a self-compiled to a packaged version, make sure
that the packages support running Samba as a DC.

Before you switch, I recommend you to upgrade your existing Samba DC(s)
to the same Samba version, than the packages you will later use. Then
verify that everything works like expected. This ensures, in case you
have trouble later, you don't have two possible causer (version- or
package-related problems).

In case you use new hardware or a new VM:
- Install the packages
- Join Samba as a DC to the domain.
- Transfer FSMO roles (if the host to decomission owns some)
- Demote the old DC.

In case you have to use the same machine:
You have to figure out in which directories the packaged Samba version
expects the smb.conf file, databases, etc. Run "smbd -b"  on your
existing DC and look at the "Paths" section. It tells you the locations.
After you set up the new host and installed the Samba packages, run
"smbd -b" to see where the new locations are, and copy the backuped
files to the right directories. However, I really suggest that you test
this on one host that is not connected to your regular network first!
Then take a domain member and connect it to this isolated DC and verify
that everything works correctly. If it does, then do the same on the
official host. Note: Maybe you have to rejoin the domain member you had
used temporary in the test environment in case it changed the machine
password in the meantime.

Regards,
Marc