[Samba] Can connect and work with Samba share from Windows host, but "net view" returns "System error 6118"

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Wed Mar 22 00:29:29 UTC 2017

Samba - General mailing list wrote
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
> Winfried via samba <

> samba at .samba

> > wrote:
>

>> I can connect and read/write just fine from a remote Windows 7 host
>> using the "net use z: \\linux\myshare" command, but the "net view"
>> command returns the following error: "System error 6118 has occurred.
>> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".
>>
>> Any idea why Windows' Network Neighborhood is empty?
>>

> Two thoughts, are they in the same workgroup ? or is a firewall in the
> way ?
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Thanks for the tip.

The workgroup name was OK.

It looks like the trick was to those lines to smb.conf:
wins support = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
;Add those two lines
domain master = yes
os level = 255

There's another Samba host on the LAN, whose smb.conf contains none of those
items, so I guess the first host wins the election every time.

There is indeed a firewall on the Windows host that blocked incoming UDP
137-138, although for some reason, it wasn't a problem: After simply making
this change to smb.conf, "net view" started working even while the firewall
still blocked incoming UDP packets. Black magic.

Thank you.