[Samba] hpux samba3 logon script not running

Arjit Gupta arjitk.gupta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 04:38:57 UTC 2017

Hi All,

As mentioned earlier i am new to this.
With my testing i am confused with below lines mentioned in Using Samba 2nd
edition subheading 4.4.

>>or to* log on* to the domain, in the case of Windows NT/2000/XP

>>Most commonly, the logon script is used to run a net command, such as net
>>use, to connect a network drive letter, like this:
>>net use T: \\toltec\test
>>This command will make our [test] share (from Chapter 2) show up as the
T: drive in My Computer.
>>This will happen automatically, and T: will be available to the user at
the beginning of her session, instead
>>of requiring her to run the net use command or connect the T: drive using
the Map Network Drive
>> function of Windows Explorer.

Query:- My understanding is samba only offers file, printer share services
and we authenticate user to access these services.
*Is it possible to logon from windows client directly to CIFS Domain ? If
so please share how could i do the same ?*

Usually i starts by login into my windows machine and then mount cifs drive
by using Map Network Drive.

Arjit Kumar
9650104435