[Samba] ldap owncloud and samba ad

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 16 18:40:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 19:05 +0100, Micha Ballmann via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> im authenticating my Owncloud aigainst one of my three domain
> controller
> and add a second one of it as failover. The authentication works
> pretty
> well. When im trying to share files or folders i have the problem,
> that
> it takes a lot of time until i get the username i want to share.
> Compared to my open ldap the samba4 ad needs about 10-15 seconds more
> find a result, thats pretty stressful if you want to share
> for  serveral
> users.

Indeed.

> I hope you can help me to speed up :-D.

I don't have any silver bullets, but Samba 4.6 will be a little faster
than previous versions.  The big improvement normally comes from
working out what search expressions are in use and ensuring they always
use an index.

Samba sadly still uses a single process for all LDAP, and this can be a
bottleneck.

If you build from source with debugging symbols, then a 'linux perf'
flame graph per
http://www.brendangregg.com/FlameGraphs/cpuflamegraphs.html can help a
lot with understanding what is slow.

I hope this helps,